Filmimg Barry Lyndon with a BNC and Zeiss 0.7

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
focuspuller12

Filmimg Barry Lyndon with a BNC and Zeiss 0.7

Post by focuspuller12 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Esteemed colleagues; when you think of the most famous Mitchell Camera ever, based on the impact it had on our industry, which one pops into your head? Is it Toland's first BNC filming Wuthering Heights or perhaps his rig used to film Citizen Kane? Maybe you go with somebody else completely different and back to the silent era or jump ahead to the days of 65/70mm. The choices are many. However, for pure innovative genius and the effects of painting with light (a term now in common speak) who can dispute Stanley Kubrick's amazing Zeiss 0.7 candle light lens and modified Mitchell setup?

As noted elsewhere in this forum, it was Ed Di Giulio, who modified the Mitchell camera and adapted the Zeiss lens to allow the filming of Barry Lyndon by candle light alone!
barry-lyndon-camera.jpg
Gabby

mitchellbnc

Re: Filmimg Barry Lyndon with a BNC and Zeiss 0.7

Post by mitchellbnc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Thank you Gabby. I was hoping that somebody would bring up the subject of that amazing lens in a thread here. Nice YouTube as well. Lots to discuss on this topic and I hope to learn more about it.

Regards,

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator

mrcinephd

Post by mrcinephd » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 am

Hello forum! I appreciate all the great posts and folks thinking up great topics of interest. This one is yet another blockbuster subject that is of immense interest to me. I have a couple of screen shots of that lens and have also read a number of articles on the internet. There is a lots of info on this subject. The work that Ed Di Giulio did is mind boggling.

Anyways, Keep on filmin'
Attachments
barry lyndon lens 1.jpg
barry lyndon lens 2.jpg

gadesro

Post by gadesro » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Hello friends. If I could pick one expensive toy for my Mitchell, it would be that Zeiss 50mm 0.7 lens. Not sure all that I would do with it but what a beauty she is! They are making this lens even faster now for tons of money, so you better have very deep pockets. I can't afford that can of insane money and most of us here probably can't either so in the meantime I will leave you with this pin-up and/or centerfold type shot:

Randy
Attachments
0.7 zeiss lens.jpg
0.7 zeiss lens.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 8980 times