Mitchell Cameras; ownership history

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
gadesro

Re: Mitchell Cameras; ownership history

Post by gadesro » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 am

I agree with focus1, outstanding information and I also enjoyed the in depth details. Keep up the great work.

Randy

marop

Post by marop » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks for the positive feedback Followfocus1 and Randy! Glad you enjoyed it. Mark

stevenO.

Post by stevenO. » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 am

Hello Mark. I have enjoyed your posts and learned a lot so far. I found this photo with 90 on the mat box and I think duplicated on the blimp mag cover. Does this agree with any information that you might have or provide any leads? It is from the film "Our Leading Citizen" directed by Alfred Santell in 1939.

Steven
Attachments
mitchell number 90.jpg

marop

Post by marop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Steven,

Great photo and one have have not seen. It must be a Mitchell NC owned by Paramount. They owned several including NC89, NC92. I can't remember the rest of hand. I believe they waited until 1937 to buy the NC's, which basically look the same but is different from the Standard. They were made for sound filming from the ground up and was used continuously into the 1960's (at least) alongside side BNCs.

marop

Post by marop » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:59 pm

As I said, magazines can be a good source for finding some history. If you look in the other thread; Mitchell Camera Magazine Ads, you will see in one of the photos there is a blimp with NC 356.

Tiffany

Post by Tiffany » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Hello Mark!

I have recently gained ownership of a Mitchell Camera tripod and am trying to research/appraise it. Can you help me, please? Here are some pictures I took. It looks like someone converted it to a lamp, not sure what that would do to the authenticity. Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

lilybettina1

Post by lilybettina1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:06 am

Hello Tiffany See pictures of my Mitchell BB s/n #91. This is a lot later than your early model of course. However, I've sent the pictures to show the central spigot thread which I hope your tripod still has? Scrap instantly the 'light' fitting. Ug!
Regards.
Attachments
mitch 2.JPG
mitch 1.JPG

mediaed

Re: Mitchell tripod

Post by mediaed » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Tiffany,

Yes, please get that light off. As to price guidelines, the best possible would be with the pan/tilt handle and a Mitchell badge on the wood tripod.

Current and past sales put a value of between $600 & $800. There is one currently on E-bay for $1300 that has all the essentials. No badge on the wood "sticks" would lower that estimate.

Your piece looks to be in quite good condition for the age.

ED.

marop

Post by marop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Hello Tiffany,

Very nice tripod. It looks like it could be one of the first made; it has the earliest Mitchell Factory location (Los Angeles) and it is an extremely low serial number, it is no. 21?. It has the earlier style leg locking knobs as well. History on tripods is not very likely, however there may be clues on the head or legs...but they also may have been erased or worn away. I own an early head as well and in closely inspecting it I found 3 stamped letters, UPC, which I believe may be Universal Pictures Company. That name was adopted in the 1920s, which is consistent with the vintage of the tripod.

Is there a logo on the tripod legs? The Mitchell sales records I have do not list tripods, however if this really is the 21st tripod made, I could let you know who some of the early buyers of the cameras were. It would be fun to speculate which of them may have own it. I would say it is possible that it as sold with Mitchell Standard no. 21, but of course there were many tripods sold that would not correspond to the camera as it would only take on buyer purchasing 2 tripods or one buyer not purchasing one to throw off the numbering...but again, worth the fun in speculating. However if ther are any clues, marks, initials, etc., you never know.

As to value, it is a tough one. A friend just sold a set of legs only for $225. His set of legs did not have an acorn ID tag. The eBay sales are obviously helpful as well but you never know with eBay how the next sale will go. On the plus side, your tripod is extremely early and would command a higher price to the person that wants the earlier tripod to go with an early camera.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Cinevision

Post by Cinevision » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am

Hello Tiffany,

If you can establish a value for your tripod, I would be very interested in it, as I am currently restoring an earlier Mitchell camera, and your tripod would be about just right to go with it.

Let me know.

Thank you,
Michael