My pride and joy is Mitchell BNCR #198

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
Scope235

My pride and joy is Mitchell BNCR #198

Post by Scope235 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Everyone! New member here: Jeff Barklage, s.o.c. DP

I still own several films cameras: Moviecam Compact, Arri 35-3, Mitchell BNCR, Mauer 05, Bolex Rex 5 and Arri 16BL [mostly just for fun now...my current workhorses that bring home the bacon: 2 x Epic Dragons, Red One and BMPC] Full size Worrall, Arri Gearhead, O'Connor 2575C, O'Connor 100, etc.

But my pride and joy is Mitchell BNCR #198, "born" July 1957 to J. Burgi Contner, ASC...used on his TV series NAKED CITY. It was also used on SGT. BILKO and, if my sources are correct, headed back from NYC [where Mr. Contner was stationed] to Paramount, where it shot the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE & I:SPY series.

I have a full set of R-35 mount Super Baltar primes and she runs like a champ! We used her on a film noir short recently and the image created with the Baltars is [of course] terrific! I'll post some behind the scenes stills.
P1010055.JPG

Scope235

Re: Mitchell Cameras; ownership history

Post by Scope235 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:55 am

A note on the above photo: the sticks that the Worrall head is mounted is a full sized set of Ronford Heavy-Duty sticks! Look how massive the Worrall head is upon these big sticks :-)

A funny story..I traded a full Arri 2C package for this Mitchell [a rare variable shutter 2C with a modified PL lens mount and a Tobin crystal motor and Ang 25-250 zoom]. Martin Hill did the swap...of course the Mitchell arrives at my house when I am out of town on a shoot...so my poor wife has to haul in these massive cases into our garage. When I returned home from that gig, I started to build the camera on a rubbermaid camera cart. I sat the body [no head] on the cart, attached the crystal motor and blimp, then attached a 1K mag and blimp, then had to run out of room to catch a phone call. When I returned, the rubbermaid cart's top shelf was sagging very badly and I realized just how much the built camera weighed! With the head and lens, its some 165lbs! Men were true men in those days.......

mitchellbnc

Re: Mitchell Cameras; ownership history

Post by mitchellbnc » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello Jeff, great shot of your BNCR and I enjoyed reading your comments. Looking forward to any future shares that you might offer.

Regards,

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator

Cinemachinery

Re: My pride and joy is Mitchell BNCR #198

Post by Cinemachinery » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:12 am

So, I'm wondering if this is scope235's camera in the picture I attached. This was in A.C. 8/1959. There was a 2 page article about J. Burgi Contner shooting "Naked City". I attached it in this post for your and Jeff's enjoyment.

Charlie
Attachments
59-8 BNC-Contner 0003.jpg
59-8 BNC-Contner 0001.jpg
59-8 BNC-Contner 0002.jpg

Scope235

Post by Scope235 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks Charlie for the info on Burgi from the 1959 ASC mag! I was informed that this particular camera shot the 1960's MISSION:Impossible series at Paramount/Desilu.

Today, I mounted this BNC onto a beautiful Moviolo crab dolly at the about to open STAR TREK: ORIGINAL SERIES SETS museum, run by a friend of mine in Ticonderoga, NY.

Since there is some possibility that it might have also worked occasionally next door on Stages 9 & 10 on the TREK series, it seemed fit to let this camera spend a year or so on display amongst the beautiful recreations of the USS Enterprise's Bridge or transporter room, etc !!! Truth is, we recently moved and I had to place this camera in storage...and with the Ohio humidity, I feared that it would not do well sitting in a case...now, it will be marveled at in its vintage setting..I removed the CP crystal motor and housing and installed a period "can" blimp motor cover and side finder :-)

Scope235

Post by Scope235 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Here are 2 photos of the BNC on the Moviola crab dolly
Attachments
image.jpeg
Mitchell BNCR #198
image.jpeg
Camera in STAR TREK museum

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 pm

Jeff,

Great setup and pix. Sent you a Private Mssg. ED.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Nice, keep em coming. I enjoy the info and background. I also own a Paramount BNCR, which coincidentally may have been used on Mission: Impossible as well. It was last used on Cheers as the cases are marked as such. It was the X camera. I will have to look thru my photos and find the one I have a of a BNC on a similar dolly working on Star Trek.

Mark

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:47 am

We are in the last week of our camera registration drive specials. This is an important feature of MitchellCamera.com to give these cameras a better future and resource documentation of what has survived. Please contact me. Ed Johnson, director.

mediaed

Post by mediaed » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 am

You can PM me here or contact me at ejohnson@mitchellCamera.com. Would be interested in hearing your story about your camera(s).

Best

ED.