Does this forum welcome Newalls as a real Mitchell?

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
Ilovemynewall

Does this forum welcome Newalls as a real Mitchell?

Post by Ilovemynewall » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am

Cheers! Here in the UK we see a Mitchell now and again but Newalls are all about. I found this website and was surprised that a Newall camera is no where to be found. Lots of bits on Mitchell, can we have a go on Newall what, what?

Newall was authorized to manufacture Mitchells and look almost exactly alike. Back in the States, Mitchell could not keep up with production so he allowed the Queen to pick up the pace and have a proper go at it.

I may purchase a Newall from a friend and if I do I will post more pictures.

Cheerio,
Phillip
Attachments
newhall mitchell.JPG

35mmKing

Re: Does this forum welcome Newalls as a real Mitchell?

Post by 35mmKing » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:03 am

Hello to our friends across the Atlantic. Why not consider the Newall here? As I understand it, they built these from the Mitchell patterns and/or license. However, they do look just a little different but still they are still a true Mitchell under the skin. Please post more about your new purchase when you can.

Ilovemynewall

Post by Ilovemynewall » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Thank you King. I have not finalized the purchase yet but I am hoping for the best. Nice to know somebody here respects the Newall. I have enclosed another picture for you yanks.

phillip
Attachments
newall_1.JPG

35mmKing

Post by 35mmKing » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello Phillip. Hope you can make your purchase but the price should be almost as steep as an actual Mitchell BNC, me thinks. So, to that end - I give you photos of Newall Magazines. These you may be able to afford!

King
Attachments
newall mag4.jpg
newhall mag1.jpg
newall mag 2.jpg
newall mag6.jpg
newall mag5.jpg

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello Phillip and best of luck following your dreams with obtaining a Newall. Of course we welcome you postings your Newall photos here. As previously said, Newall's were exact copies of the Mitchell. I have posted a YouTube video of a Newall "NC" copy. Although it is a stop action video (per the author) you can see the Newall name on the last frame. Look quickly or use the stop feature cause it goes by fairly quickly. In fact, you must use the stop/pause feature, this thing plays super fast! Members: you must have the java plugin on your browser or you will just see a black box.

Regards,
Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator
San Francisco, CA

winston_cornwall

Post by winston_cornwall » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:24 pm

How do you do. There is quite a bit of information on the Newall Camera at the page dedicated to Hammer Films in England. I have included some excerpts below and lastly, a link to the main page for the full commentary. I hope this will clear up some confusion regarding the Newall and its connection to the Mitchell Camera Corporation of America. Text follows:

In 1959 Hammer acquired a Newall NC, a British made version of the American Mitchell rack-over NC developed in the late 1940s. The Newall has four 1000' mags, a studio motor and a 24v motor, but wasn't reflex or, due to Hammer's notorious stinginess, even endowed with a parallax viewfinder. Hammer mainly used it for reverse, stop frame, high speed or wild (non sync) exterior shots, where they couldn't use the 3-phase mains Arri.

Hammer used the Newall for model and effects work right up to the early 70s, then with the demise of Hammer as a production company the camera, like most of their assets, went under the hammer at an auction held at Bray Studios.

The pictures show it as it is today, with the original motors, standard Cooke Panchro lenses and Edmunton dolly. It is unusual that a camera of this age is still original and complete, with none of the after market camera conversions that usually happen to cameras as film technology advances. It is still used occasionally for model animation work and exhibition.

Mitchell were unable to satisfy world demand and for several years a copy was made under license by Newall Engineering Ltd. in Peterborough, England. The Newall's were built with noticeably different looking film mags, that were both heavier and quieter than the American models, more suited to film sets than newsreel or military uses, they use an elegant quick release mechanism on the mag door, rather than the Mitchell screw action which sometimes needed a hammer to get them off!

http://www.filmcentre.co.uk/hammer.htm

Winston
Attachments
newall-hammer-films.jpg

Cinemachinery

Post by Cinemachinery » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Hello 35mmKing!

I have a question for you. Do you own that 1000ft Newall magazine that's in the photos you posted? Are you aware that the magazine has an adaptor on it enabling it to be used on an Arri camera?

If you have anymore info on the mag, I'd be interested.

Your photos have answered a little question I've had since the late 1970s, but forgot about. lol

Thank you for posting those pics!
Charlie

35mmKing

Post by 35mmKing » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:34 am

Hi there Charlie. I didn't know about the Arriflex film adapter. I found those great Newall mag pictures on a past eBay auction. You are very welcome about the pics but yours have been tremendous lately.

King

lilybettina

Post by lilybettina » Sat May 28, 2016 8:26 am

Slightly getting off the main subject, but re the Newall brochure, I own an Edmonton dolly which was based on the Panoram. See my picture with my Wall camera.
Attachments
VELOCILATOR & MOVIE CAMERA.JPG