The new Mitchell Catalogue May 1, 1922

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
mitchellbnc

The new Mitchell Catalogue May 1, 1922

Post by mitchellbnc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Hello members! This ad first appeared in the American Cinematographer magazine in 1922 where the "Mitchell Camera Company" announced their new catalog.
mitchell-catalogue-ad-1922.jpg
I have seen some very old Mitchell advertisements and catalogs but nothing as old as that. If anyone here has this catalog, we beg you to share it. I found it interesting that they were very up front regarding the J. E. Leonard design. Apparently, the two "experimental" Leonard cameras had already created a huge reputation. Until we find this 1922 catalog, we will have to be satisfied with the 1922 price list (see below).
mitchell-1922-price-list.jpg
Regards,

Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator

marop

Re: The new Mitchell Catalogue May 1, 1922

Post by marop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:16 pm

So I guess this answers a question I had about the floating iris and matte wheel, which was when they started offering theses...looks like from the beginning BUT was not included but an add-on. Thanks for this ad!

mitchellbnc

Post by mitchellbnc » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Greetings Mark! Since you mentioned the Mat Wheel appeared as an option in 1922 (good catch by the way), here are two ads from that time frame which depict the Mat Wheel which appeared in American Cinematographer. (where else?)

Interesting that Mitchell refers to this device as the Matte Disc back in the day!
mitchell-matts-23.jpg
Circa 1923
mitchell-ad-1924_3.jpg
Circa 1924
Theodore Wilhelm
MitchellCamera.com administrator

35mmKing

Post by 35mmKing » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks guys, great research and interesting info. Keep film history alive!

King

marop

Post by marop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks for the ads on the matte wheel! Fortunately my Standard still has the matte wheel as they are often removed from the cameras. My camera also has an adjustable length auto disolve, but this was disabled. I am trying to restore that function. I have also seen other parts removed, like on a BNC owned by Paramount Studios; they had removed the portion of the follow-focus that extends to the rear of the camera. I was told that studios did these things to prevent accidental usage. It would ruin a shot if the fade out button was accidentally hit during a scene, or if the camera operator accidentally hit the follow-focus. Makes sense, after all these are tools to make movies.

Mark

mr. pebbles jacksonville

Post by mr. pebbles jacksonville » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am

pebbles here, very nice that you have a Standard, Mark. These old catalogs are intriguing. I had not known that the automatic dissolve units were sometimes removed and that they started out as an option from the factory.

Speaking of Mitchell Standard options from the 20's, have you seen this one for a "Speed Meter"? Not sure that I have ever seen a picture of one attached to a Standard.

Also, I don't see it listed in the 1922 Catalog posted in this thread. Interesting ....

pebbles
Attachments
mitchell-speed-meter.jpg

marop

Post by marop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

Wow, never heard nor seen a speed meter before! What a cool piece! I bet most of those got thrown out when sound came and they exclusively used motors! That's great info and history! Keep'em coming!

Mark

mr. pebbles jacksonville

Post by mr. pebbles jacksonville » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:26 pm

pebbles here. Thank you Mark, I'm glad you enjoyed those oddities from 1922. Here is another one that I've never heard of until I saw the ad from 1924. The good old "Matting Slide".

pebbles
Attachments
mitchell-ad-1924_5.jpg

marop

Post by marop » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:39 am

Looks like pebble pulled another one out of his hat! Absolutely never heard of this one either. I can read what it is for but I can't say I understand it works!

Thanks again pebbles and keep them coming!!!

sully in ny

Post by sully in ny » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am

This drawing seems to show a external footage counter for the Standard. Bit I don't see it on the catalog listing above?? More unanswered questions!

See ya, Sully
Attachments
movie-camera-03-1212-lgn.jpg
movie-camera-03-1212-lgn.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 21121 times