Renting vintage Mitchell cameras as props

~
Feel free to discuss any topic related to the Mitchell Camera. Both 35 mm and 16 mm models are welcomed here. Also consider posting topics of other major motion picture cameras that you feel are important to the development of the Mitchell Camera. Feel free to upload a photo from the option on each new post.
~
Temporary custodian

Renting vintage Mitchell cameras as props

Post by Temporary custodian » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:34 pm

I sometimes rent my Mitchell NC, Mitchell blimp and Mitchell tripods to feature film Producers as props only but knowing how much to charge is a challenge. I'd appreciate it if another collector of maybe a feature film Producer would let me know what a reasonable rate would be. In other words a daily and weekly charge that's fair to both the collector and the Producer. I have heard that some collectors insist on being on set when their cameras are being used to avoid pilfering and damage. Anyone prepared to share their experiences in this area?

lilybettina69

Re: Renting vintage Mitchell cameras as props

Post by lilybettina69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 am

All depends on budgets. Big Disney/Marvel or local amdram. Best camera or repro with duff optics, or just an empty blimp. Any tv or movie start at $500/$800 per week not including delivery.

Temporary custodian

Post by Temporary custodian » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:28 pm

Thank you for providing this information. It is helpful. I noticed in another posting that you loaned your Mitchell to the folks producing the Laurel & Hardy film. It must be a thrill to see your camera starring in a feature film. I have been researching rental houses and some have a daily and weekly rate. I phoned and spoke to a gentleman on the East Coast who told me that he rents his Mitchell blimp for around a $3,000 per week because they are scarce and many collectors refuse to take the risk of having their cameras damaged.

lilybettina69

Post by lilybettina69 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:20 am

Importantly, I loaned myself too with my Mitchell.(in fact I appear in the scene) In another scene I loaned my repro Bell & Howell 2709, but without myself, because a cardboard lens/magazine is replaced or repaired easily if damaged..